5.23.2008

Our first Staples (warning, graphic pictures of booboos ahead)

So I *am* behind, but our crazy family is always full of minor catastrophe and disaster, it reads like a french movie, to be quite honest. This week's injury is brought courtesy of 12th street urgent care.

Those who know me, know that I'm not one to flinch from wounds. So when Josh brought Ava to me covered in blood, I just started cleaning her off, after all, head wounds bleed profusely. We got her clothes changed and then I parted her hair, ready to snip some off and apply the ever popular steri-strips. However, once the hair was trimmed back, and she was looking down, the wound (a result of falling backwards off the arm of the chair (instead of forwards onto her brother as she intended) and hitting the fireplace...say it with me...OUCH!) gaped far too much for me to be comfortable with strips, and so we packed up and headed off to urgent care.

End result was five staples (I've never had a kid with staples. Stitches, yes, staples no), a serious headache, and the orders to not let her take a nap (uh, considering she didn't sleep the night before, I asked how serious that was) There would have been more staples, however, the mortar is recessed between bricks, and where that was, there is a gap in the wound. Interesting, huh? Here's the least gruesome of the pictures:


The staples were removed yesterday when Rachel and Breanna had their well-child check-ups. I had promised that the PA would just LOOK, not even touch, but it needed to be examined to make sure that there was no infection, or puckering of the scab, etc. So after the Ms. C had checked it out, she offered to remove them. I had already promised Ava that no one would touch them, so I asked her if she would like them removed now by Ms. C, or wanted to go back to the urgent care and have them removed by Dr F. She voted for Ms C, after all, she knows this person, and while Dr F was very kind, he's the one who stapled her. She doesn't trust him very much. It's her head. I don't blame her. 

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

Poor Ava! yeah, those head wounds bleed A LOT -- it can be hard to tell the serious ones from the patch it up at home variety!

Glad to hear the staples are out. I had those after my 2 c-sections, and man do they itch after about 3 days!