8.06.2008

Thrifty Thursday

So, a day early but still, here's an idea of once a month cooking. It's not OAM, but just since I was making ONE set of enchiladas, there's no harm in making three. etc.

Today I went to walmart and spent $65.
Bought
four 15oz jars of ricotta cheese
two lbs of mozzarella (shredded)
two lbs of cheddar (shredded)
one box of lasagna noodles
one can diced olives (or olipes as baby Rachel called them)
two bags of lettuce
five lbs of bananas
64 oz of Rachael Rays chicken stock (gluten free/corn free and tastes REALLY good)
four disposable cake pans (to make meals for a friend)
family sized bag of chips
family sized bag of snyders pretzels (the only corn free pretzels)
four bell peppers
one lb of kielbasa
(and one 20 DP from the cooler 'blush')

We already had purchased (on big shopping day) beef (6lbs for $15), canned tomato sauce (106 oz for $3), canned crushed tomatoes (106 oz for $2.50), and a mega bag of tortillas from Sam's, as well as a small bag of corn tortillas for Dan (wheat free you know) ~$4 altogether, and a bag of fresh spinach $3. On stock already is rice, wheat free pasta, onions and fresh tomatoes (from the garden) and seasonings (oh yeah, and one cucumber to go in the veggie sauce)

I boiled the burger in a stock pot with water to make stock. Used a pound for the lasagna. Used a pound for spaghetti, saved two pounds for taco meat, and another pound for beef veggie soup)

So, for $90 altogether, I have approximately 11 meals (plus leftovers for lunch, and leftover sauce to make pizzas)

one pan of corn free cheese enchiladas
one pan of regular cheese enchiladas
one pan of regular cheese enchiladas
one pan of spinach lasagna
one pan of wheat-free meat lasagna
four quarts of 'dirty rice'
four quarts of 'dirty rice' with meat
four quarts of veggie spaghetti sauce
four quarts of meat spaghetti sauce
two gallons of beef broth
one taco meal ready to go (just microwave and set out with toppings and shells, +$5)
one soup meal ready to go (just add beef broth and one bag frozen veggies, +$1)

oh, and I forgot, one chocolate cake and four trays of banana muffins. YUM!

And one dirty kitchen...who's dish night is it anyway?!

4 comments:

Jennie C. said...

I have never quite gotten up to freezer cooking. One reason, I guess, is that I generally like cooking dinner each day. Sure, there are the bad days, when it's nice to have something ready to go, and I do freeze things like an extra meatloaf or meatballs when I make them for just such days, but I just feel too lazy when I use them. :-)

Melissa said...

I LOVE having foods already ready...mostly because we seem to have more busy crazy days than not. And I'd rather spend time with the kids than cook dinner. I despise cooking almost as much as cleaning the bathroom, probably because of my childhood experiences with cooking. Not such a warm fuzzy moment KWIM?

Jennie C. said...

Hm. I like cleaning the bathroom, too. And ironing. :-)

Melissa said...

Woman...there's something just not right about this. lol!


I tried to like those things, but the most I can get is that they are a gift I give my family because I love them. The only housework I really LOVE doing is vacuuming, I could do that all day. And my favorite thing of all is playing ;-)