11.23.2008

Being Creative

Every child is an artist.  The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up~ Picasso

Book plus Rachel's sock guy

Last week I randomly grabbed some books from the parenting section in the kids area of the library. I just did not have the energy to negotiate a trip to the adult side. Some of the books were hideous, but I really like this one. The Creative Family, by Amanda Soule. Not only does it espouse many of the same ideas that unschooling does, it really honors all people for their innate creativity. There are the principles behind unschooling represented (let children be messy), as well as some great ideas (how to make a LOT of things, which the girls love). 

I think the only part I didn't like was the implication that one should remove TV time or computer time in MAKE time for creativity. Also suggests early bedtimes and early rising, when we feel that hours of sleep equals hours of sleep, regardless of when they are captured. I'm a night owl though, so perhaps I take the lil inklings that appear in the still dark of the night a bit more seriously than others.  

3 comments:

Phoebe said...

That's on my Amazon wishlist, Melissa Wiley reviewed it on her blog a month or two ago. Faith and Abby are all about crafts.

Heather said...

I love her blog, too!

http://soulemama.typepad.com/

Melissa said...

I'm so behind the times....lol