11.10.2008

My job...

First say to yourself what you would be;
and then do what you have to do.
Epictetus

Sunday at church is a wonderful time for fellowship...not just for religion but also to talk about parenting, service to the community, greater plans, etc. A friend brought up a topic, parenting, that has been ruminating for a while in my head, and it was interesting how the discourse proceeded.

We all have seasons, and lately, I've been feeling that I have let my role as mother in the house slide. First it was being on bedrest, and then recovering and getting 'back into the swing', but now it's just moved on to not doing because I don't HAVE to. As a stay-at-home mom, I don't HAVE to wake up at a certain time. I don't HAVE to do dishes or laundry at a specific hour, and I don't HAVE to cook and clean or heck, even care for my children, if I don't want to...who will hold me responsible? Who will dock my paycheck, or withhold hours, or write a negative review of my work?

Who? The children...that's who! I don't HAVE to do any of those things, but I am choosing to because my priority has always been happy and healthy children who trust me and trust what little wisdom I have to impart. I wanted to give my children a better life....not one that holds more things, not one that has Disney vacations or labeled clothes or the newest toys. But one that holds more happiness, trust, faith, freedom from fear. 

That's my job, and that is what the quote means to me....I would *be* a nurturing mother, open and trustworthy, and so I decide that I would be awake before the kids need me, I would be cleaning rather than expecting the children to do much of it, I would be patient and willing to walk with them through the stages of development. 

1 comment:

Blessed Wife and Mom said...

Very well said, Melissa, and I agree with you wholeheartedly!!