2.12.2009

Traffic law violations that tick me off....

Seriously, last night driving home on I-35 from a surprise birthday party in the city, I was shocked at how careless and selfish the drivers are! I guess I'm spoiled by usually driving during the day when all the people are at work. SO here you go, I looked up the statutes and I'm sharing the broken ones that nearly got us killed last night, in less than 15 miles.

1. People who think that green means go, regardless of circumstances (47-11-202) states " Such vehicular traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection." If you are turning LEFT across an intersection, the people walking across have the right of way. Please don't gun your car at my kids

2. People who pass and either don't use a turn signal and don't make sure they are clear (47-11-303) states "(they) shall first see that such movement can be made with safety and shall proceed to pass only after giving a proper signal by hand or mechanical device." Those odd little blinky lights on your car were put there for a reason.

3. People who ride my bumper, even when I'm doing OVER the speed limit (47-11-310) states "The distance between such vehicles shall be a minimum of two hundred (200) feet under all conditions." I'll get over when I can, but honestly, riding my bumper pisses me off, and I'm not cutting off the poor shmoe next to me so you can speed past.

4. People who don't wait their turn (47-11-401) states "the driver of the vehicle on the left shall yield the right-of-way to the vehicle on the right." We all want to get home, honest. Jumping your turn just makes it more dangerous for everyone else who can't figure out the right of way anymore.

5. People who don't YIELD...that funny five letter word that means STOP until you are CLEAR (47-11-403) states "The driver of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall in obedience to such sign slow down to a speed reasonable for the existing conditions, or shall stop if necessary" How can one person be so self-centered as to think that their admittance to the highway is more important than the safety of dozens of cars already propelling two ton vehicles at 70 mph? Additionally, if you DO go anyway, you're automatically marked as failure to yield and on top of my medical bills, there is a $1000 fee that goes to the DMV.

6. People who don't pay attention to the ROAD that they are driving on (47-11-901b) states "The operator of every vehicle, while driving, shall devote their full time and attention to such driving." There is no way on God's green earth that your full attention is on driving, when you are on the cell phone, stuffing a burger in your face AND putting on make-up at the same time. Just no way. I could handle one of them...I'm not a purist, but for pity's sake, pick ONE.

7. People who don't turn off their high-beams (47-11-203) states "On a straight, level road under any condition of loading none of the high-intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver" I know it's scary driving at night, but blinding me so that I can't even see the road...how is that helpful? If I'm in a jumped up SUV, and your lights are hitting my eyes, you need to have them adjusted.

Not that I saw this last night, but I'm saving this for the next time the kids want to wait in the truck while I run an errand in walmart. The cut-off age legally is six. Although Breanna would count as a vulnerable adult, and I wouldn't leave her out anyway.
Interesting anyway...the 'forget-me-not' statute about young children left in cars B. A person responsible for a child who is six (6) years of age or younger, or a caretaker of a vulnerable adult as defined by Section 10-103 of Title 43A of the Oklahoma Statutes, shall not leave that child or vulnerable adult unattended in a motor vehicle if the conditions, including, but not limited to, extreme weather, inadequate ventilation, or hazardous or malfunctioning components within the vehicle present a risk to the health or safety of the unattended child or vulnerable adult.

C. It shall not be considered a violation of this section if the child or vulnerable adult is accompanied in the motor vehicle by a person at least twelve (12) years of age who is not mentally incompetent as defined by Section 1-103 of Title 43A of the Oklahoma Statutes.

No comments: