1.10.2011

Yay! Nursing is going much better!

We breastfed all of our children for many reasons, for health, for ease, but most of all because I am FRUGAL. I don't want to pay $40 a week for formula...yikes! So I was very dismayed that after eight children, seven of whom nursed soo easily, we had an issue. Talia's tongue was tied!
You can kind of tell in the first picture, with her eyes open. Her tongue couldn't extend further than her lips. No big deal, the on call pediatrician told me in the hospital...he was certain OUR pediatrician could clip it, no nerves, no blood supply, simple procedure (why he didn't do it, I have no idea)

By the time we left the hospital, I was in agony. My nips were sensitive, okay, they hurt like heck. Little T was upset because she was hungry. She couldn't latch on correctly, and even though my milk wasn't in, she should have been receiving colostrum. She didn't get the full affect of it anyway....To quote: Colostrum is different from mature milk. It is thick and sticky, and provides important disease fighting antibodies that the baby can't get anywhere else. It is highly concentrated, and is easy for the newborn's immature system to digest. Its main function is
 to protect the newborn from infection by coating the baby's intestinal tract and acting as a barrier to prevent the invasion of harmful bacteria. It protects your baby from illnesses that you have been exposed to, as well as illnesses that he may be exposed to. It also provides important nutrients, which is especially important for babies who are sick or premature. Colostrum also functions as a laxative, helping clean out meconium (the dark greenish/black tarry stool that the baby's intestines form before birth), helping reduce the incidence of jaundice in the newborn baby.
http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/Benefits.shtml



Anyway, finally got everything taken care of, when she was four days old. The ped wouldn't clip her, he referred me to an ENT, who wanted to wait a few weeks. What?! She was already hungry, lost almost two pounds, I was in pain (by the time she was four days old, I was bleeding and she couldn't nurse from all the blood she was ingesting) I called our midwife and she took care of it, less than thirty seconds later and
VOILA!


What they don't tell you is that it takes two to three times as long to relearn latch and how to nurse. The baby has to retrain. Finally, at two weeks old, she was able to latch on appropriately, without being pulled off and trying over and over to get her tongue positioned right. I cannot believe that there are contingents of professionals who feel it is best to wait and see how the tie affects feeding and speech. What is even more unfathomable to me are those doctors who feel that breastfeeding is not affected by a tongue tie. Hers was very simple. I can't imagine that anything more complicated COULD work.

I have a LOT more empathy for those who struggle with breastfeeding. I feel awful that it took something like this to show me. But now she's filling up, and my foremilk is finally starting to balance with the thick rich hindmilk, so she's sleeping better. Which means I'm sleeping better.

Which means the Gray family is much happier all around. 
(and isn't that nightgown beautiful? My friend Julie bought it for her, and we LOVE it so much!)
(and yes, she does wear it all the time)
:-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you have a knowledgeable midwife! It is truly a disgrace that physicians weren't able to help you and Talia in the hospital. What were they thinking?! So glad you have this figured out and under control. Congrats!

Melissa said...

Thanks kathy!